Mt. Carmel Color Guard
What is Color Guard/Tall Flags Dance Props? Modern color guard uses flags, sabres, mock rifles and other equipment combined with choreographed dance, interpretive movement and gymnastics while performing routines set to music. During the fall, members of the Color Guard team perform and compete along with the MC Marching Band at football games, field show tournaments and parades. The guard provides visual interest and “color” to the band’s performances.
What is Winter Guard/Dance Props ? After marching season concludes, the Winter Guard team performs throughout San Diego and Southern CA in Guard only competitions. Winter Guard is conducted indoors, usually in a gym or indoor arena. Choreographed routines are performed to music. Each season, the highest ranking teams move on to nationals in Ohio. WGI rules for Winter Guard. WGASC Winter Guard Association Of Southern California Students interested in joining the Mt. Carmel Color Guard team should contact Band Director Garry McPherson firstname.lastname@example.org or Advisor Brent Dunlap at email@example.com Participation in Guard will earn you P.E. credit first trimester.
Color Guard Volunteer Opportunities
MCHSCG runs on volunteers and they can’t do it without YOU. See below for the various ways you can help your student’s team.
- Supervision: Involves supervision of the team during performances and tournaments which may include assistance with costumes, hair, makeup, equipment, water/snacks and escorting to/from venue. All parent supervisors must complete and receive Level I “Megan’s Law” clearance (click here for form).
- Camp Carpool: Provide transportation help for team members to/from day camps/practices to assist parents who have transportation limitations due to work schedules. This is INFORMAL and intended to help accommodate the parents of non-drivers.
- Event Carpool: Provide transportation for team members to distant performances when buses are not provided. All drivers must receive district approval by completion of both the “Private Vehicle Transportation for Students” (click here for form) and level I “Megan’s Law” clearance (click here for form).
- Flags / Sewing / Arts N Crafts: YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEW TO HELP. Involves simple construction (cutting, pinning, ironing) and sewing of flags or other necessary props, supplying of sewing machines and other needed implements (irons, scissors). Usually done during Wed night practices or on a take home basis.
- Props: GREAT FOR DADS!!. Involves painting, simple construction, and/or procurement of show based props as identified by the band director or coach.
- Fundraising: Involves assisting with fundraising ideas, contacts, organization and supervision of team fundraising activities.
- Hair/Makeup: Assist with pre-event make-up and hairstyling. Need will be based on the complexity of the show’s hair and make-up design.
- Uniforms: Involves initial field show and parade costume fittings and distribution, costume monitoring and coordination of repairs.
- Other: Please let us know of any special skills or contacts you have which can assist the team.
To volunteer or for question please email MCHSCG@gmail.com
Color Guard Donations
- When purchasing the things you already buy: Sign up for the ‘Shop with Scrip’ program and/or purchase Albertson’s and Stater Bros gift cards from your MCMF representative. A portion of your purchase (up to 15%) will automatically be credited to your family account. Visit www.shopwithscrip.com and attend the MCBB new parent meeting for more information.
- Recycling is a great and easy way for your student to raise money. Print and handout this form (recycle form) along with a trash bag to your neighbors, family and friends. Pick up the bags when full, then collect your money.
- Some companies match the donations you make to the MCMF. These donations go directly to the MCMF general fund and benefit the overall operations of the program including new equipment, uniforms, defraying costs, etc. Check with your HR dept to see if they participate in matching charitable donations.
- Watch your email for additional fundraising opportunities throughout the season.
- Join the Mt Carmel Music Foundation today!
For more information on these programs and to view additional opportunities, click on the “MCMF” Organization” tab above.
Supply Donations: The team is also in need of snacks, water and misc supplies (band aids, bobby pins, safety pins, hair ties, make-up, fingernail polish remover etc…) to keep the team healthy and happy. Please contact us at MCHSCG@gmail.com to make a supply donation.
The MCMF and Color Guard team thank you for your support!!